4th Annual New Deal Writing Competition
The New Deal Writing Competition is a short story competition where the writer is asked to use a painting chosen by the staff of GVCA as inspiration for their short story.
This year’s painting is “Fountain, Central Park” by Jacques Zucker shown below:
- Entrants must be 18+ years of age
- Submissions must be postmarked or emailed by April 5, 2019.
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org in WORD doc format
- Mail them to Genesee Valley Council on the Arts, 4 Murray Hill Drive, Mount Morris NY 14510 USA.
- There is a $5.00 submission fee per piece submitted, up to three (3) pieces.
- The submission fee may be paid via PayPal on our website, livingstonarts.org, or by check. Please make all checks out to Genesee Valley Council on the Arts and mail them to 4 Murray Hill Drive, Mount Morris NY 14510 USA.
- Entrants may submit up to three (3) pieces.
- Must be previously unpublished.
- All entries must be 10,000 words or less.
- This is an international competition however; prize money will be awarded in US dollars.
- Because this contest uses “blind judging”—that is, the author’s name is withheld from the judges until the contest is complete—please omit personal information (such as author name or contact details) from the manuscript. Entries with any part of the author’s name or contact details in the manuscript will be disqualified.
- That being said, please include one cover sheet for each submission which includes, Title, Author, Address, Phone Number, Email Address. This will be for office use only and not given to the judges.
- There are no genre restrictions.
3 winners will be chosen
- The first place winner will receive $200.00, be published in our annual magazine, Artsphere and on our website. Their story will also be available to read at our New Deal Spring Art reception and mailed a copy of Artsphere.
- Second place winner will receive $100.00 and a copy of Artsphere and their work will be published on our website.
- Third place winner will receive $50.00 and a copy of Artsphere.
- *These cash prizes are dependent on the number of submissions received.
- All entries either have to be postmarked or sent via email by April 5, 2019.
- Winners will be announced May 2, 2019.
- The First place winner’s piece will be published in the annual edition of Artsphere and online.
- The Second and Third place winners will be published on our website.
“Old North Church” by Thomas Cole
“Winter’s Night” by Leopold Widlicka